Sunday 10 November 2019

Prototyping

Game/Level Design

What's going wrong:

Starting with the negatives of my project, I'm trying to stick to the decision to make a RTS game and as much as I was expecting it to be an up hill battle to get it done it's proving harder than I had originally thought as I'm trying to find assets to us in the game but unfortunately that task is proving incredibly difficult, I have managed to find some good models to use but can't figure out how to turn the models into assets. another big problem I'm running into is find tutorials on how to make a RTS game while I found one series of tutorials it was just my luck that is wasn't on the same style I'm gunning for with mine.

What's going right: 

Well that's not hard to answer at all and the answer to this question is quiet simply put not much. Since I'm sort if only starting things off there still things that I haven't gotten around to doing or just haven't thought of yet all that does seem to be working well for me is the prototype of by world map which as of the moment is rather bare.
Screenshot of prototype game world

5 comments:

  1. Hey Oisín,

    Sorry to hear that your having trouble with your game, but if it helps - you're definitely not the only one! In theory everything seems very achievable, but the reality proves to be much more of a challenge. As this is a genre that you feel very close to, I reckon you'll find a way to manage it - even if you have to make a few compromises.

    I don't know how much help it will be, but here is a link to a tutorial on how to make an RTS style camera angle. It's a guy called Brackeys - I used his tutorial on how to make my Top-Down 3rd person camera, and saw this on his YT channel. He might have some other useful tutorials too. He's to the point, and really informative. Hopefully he can be of some help.

    Even if you can't find a full tutorial, try to find one off videos with elements that you need in your game. You might manage to piece it together yourself bit by bit.

    I genuinely think if anyone can make an RTS, you can! So keep at it.

    - Ultan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Oisin,

    A Real Time Strategy game is an interesting idea for a game, one that I don't think any one else in our class has really thought to at least that I've seen. The few RTS games that I've played have been fun and rewarding to win but I can see why they may be a more complicated game to try and recreate as a beginner to game design. However if this is the game genre that you really want to work in then I'm sure you'll be able to find a way to make it work for you. Good luck and I cant wait to see how it goes.

    -Casper :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Oisin, sorry to hear what has happened with your game. Like the others have said, I don't think anyone here has actually done or doing an RTS game so it might be tough to give out advice. However, from what I can decipher from your images the game is looking rather nice graphically speaking. Hopefully you can overcome this issue as I think your game idea you have put forward looks really stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Oisin,
    Sorry to hear that your game is not going to plan but I doubt you are the only one having trouble with your game it is really difficult to find assets to match your game as it took me a while to find assets to match the theme of my game but maybe you can look at different asset stores I do not know much about RTS or games in general so I would not be much help but maybe you could ask some people in the year if they found any useful tutorials or ask Shaun about it. Anyway from what you have done in unity so far it looks good you obviously looked at some textures to put on the ground of your prototype and I am guessing the blocks in your game are buildings so at least you have something done anyway hope to read more from you soon.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  5. hiya Oisín,
    i love coming back and seeing ho your game is turning out! i cant wait to see the finished product. like yourself, my prototype was pretty bare and I'm trying to not get too down in the dumps abut it but we all get there!
    have you found many good tutorials for your game style?

    -alex

    ReplyDelete

S2 Unity Tutorial 6

Animation  The tutorial for week six is all on animation. Animation being a big part of a lot of games is a very useful thing to know how...