Sunday 17 November 2019

Prototyping First "Playable"















First Playable

Since my last post on my games prototype I have had a lot of ups and downs as expected and now with what progress I have made I am determined to go through with my plan for the RTS, although I'm not sure turning back is even an option at this point, and I'm going to get as much as I possibly can done which is going to be quite the feet for me to complete.


The Good:

On the brighter side I do have some good news in that my game prototype has gone from being just a few cubes to having most if not all the assets needed to for the games units and world. I have a number of different textures and enough units to make a more dynamic playing experience (if and when I get through the aforementioned problems) while I would have liked to have more units and structures what I do have will be plenty for an "Alpha" build if you will.


Screenshot show casing textures and assets

The Bad:

So the bad news. The bad news is that I have hit something of a wall as there are some rather minor albeit confusing complications. The biggest problem that I'm running into is with my camera for play testing the game. Even though the camera is very clearly positioned right over the units that I want it to be when I go into the game to test things out the camera snaps back to the origin point of the scene while staying at the same height that I placed it at meaning instead of the position being X: 481 Y: 60 Z: 442 it goes to X: 0 Y: 60 Z:0 this issue was something that I had gotten help to fix before and thought that it was fixed only to have it resurface again when I went to test the game again. The other issue that I have is more of a inconvenience than anything else is that one of the assets that I have for my game has no animations which are done with scripts instead.


Screenshot of my camera malfunction

The Ugly: 

While I feel I have all the necessary assets to build my game the problems I stated have more or less halted all progress that I can make as there isn't much that I can do until these problems are dealt with. 






1 comment:

  1. Hello again Oisin, I just read through your games first playable and I really think it looks rather cool. I think your addition of the colour change of your soldiers to be green, reminds me of those little army men that the cat will always swallow up. I think the animation you have done for the soldier is really cool. hope all goes well in the future.

    ReplyDelete

S2 Unity Tutorial 6

Animation  The tutorial for week six is all on animation. Animation being a big part of a lot of games is a very useful thing to know how...