Tuesday 5 November 2019

Games Decisions

Massively Multiplayer Online Games and Social Gaming: 

Lostgarden blog

This weeks reading is on the social aspect of gaming leaning into online gaming and social psychology.

The article starts off by listing off the problems revolving around an MMO or Massively Multiplayer Online game. The article rounds off the problems by pointing out were they stem from that being the key word of "Massively". This cause's problems with a games scale, pacing and level design. 

Social Groups:

Later on in the article it begins to touch on social groups and different aspects of society.  It begins by stating a brief explanation on what a social group is. 

Individuals in groups are connected to each other by social relationships.


Self-categorization perspective
 

is when an individual looks at a person or group of people and mentally puts them into a category. This act is something I don't like and try to avoid doing myself because I hate being compared to other people good or bad as I am my own person and I am not like someone else I'm like myself "If I have seen further than others, it is by standing upon the shoulders of giants."

 Social Cohesion Perspective 

Social cohesion goes hand in hand with categorization as it is the idea that we act according too shared social norms. My thoughts on social cohesion is more or less the same as social categorization as I feel that social norms lead to stress in some children and teenagers that may be afraid of stepping outside of what society deems normal.


1 comment:

  1. Hi oisin,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog today and found it to be really well written .
    I like the fact that you use headings for each topic you are going to talk about and I think your analysis of the article is very well done.
    great blog and I look forward to reading more of them in the future

    ReplyDelete

S2 Unity Tutorial 6

Animation  The tutorial for week six is all on animation. Animation being a big part of a lot of games is a very useful thing to know how...