Tuesday 1 October 2019

Game Design

Game Design 

While browsing the internet you may come across different articles that may catch your interest be it for better or worse while some may get your attention because of a stupid or offensives title others may get your attention through having topics that interest you or spark your curiosity. This is how I came across some of the following articles:


So number one on the list "What Is a Game?". This title caught my attention with the question purposed by the title. The question seemed simple enough but when I went into the site it went into more detail on games and the different definitions of games from different points in history and different parts of the world.

Screenshot of the Game Journal what is a game

Number two "Don't Be a Vidiot". This one got my attention simply with the word "vidiot" the main reason I clicked into this site was to figure out just what a "vidiot" was. After reading through the extremely text heavy site I found my answer, a vidiot is a person whose knowledge of games comes solely from video games. While reading through the article I discovered that I am not one of this vidiots having played a number of board games such as the infamous never ending monopoly and chess.

Screenshot of costik.com vidiot


Last but not least number three "So You're Going To Make A Video Game For The Very First Time?". This one got me in though the title using the statement to pose a question. This site is definitely the shortest of the three which was a relief for me as the other two while incredibly informative were also extremely overwhelming with just how much there was to read in the others. This article give step by step advice on creating your first video game which may prove invaluable when you start.

Screenshot of  gamasutra.com So You're Going To Make A Video Game For The Very First Time?

6 comments:

  1. Hello Fellow Scouter/Fellow Comrade Oisin,

    I really enjoyed your reading, it was well thought and easy to follow. I didn't know what a vidot is either, although I didn't read it I might go back and read it. I did however read the other articles and I too found them really interesting, especially the first one, I never thought about what is a game ? I can't wait to read your blog in the future !

    Y.I.S/Fellow Comrade
    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Oisin,
    How are you> I hope that you are well.
    I love your blog, it looks good. I enjoyed reading this post. I found the articles you chose very interesting. I know you like FPS so I wonder are you like me in the way that I never thought about what a game actually is defined by. Food for thought.
    Have a nice day,
    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Oisin
    This was a good blog post I thought you were able to talk about the readings in a way that makes sense and you were able to summarize the readings well. I like how you screenshotted the readings so I’m able to read some the readings myself it’s a good way to get your point across.
    Jamie Gannon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Oisín,

    I think your blog has a really nice structure which makes it very easy to read. I haven’t read the “what is a game?” article but it looks like an interesting read considering it talks about the different definitions of games from different points in history. I never knew what a “vidiot” was either until you explained it so thank you for that. I might read the article “don’t be a vidiot” when I have some free time as it seems fascinating.

    I look forward to reading more of your blogs!

    -Ciaran

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Oisin,
    Good choice of articles. I like how you also summarized how easy the articles were to read. I definitely know the feeling when you click onto a blog or article and it is 10 pages of just text, no thankss.
    One bit of criticism is that I would like to hear more about the content pf the articles and your opinion on them. I doubt my posts are any different so not to worry.
    Nice blog and best of luck with your project,
    Jordan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Oisin,

    This was a good post. I like the way you explained why it is you clicked on the articles in the first place, you're the first person I've seen that did that. I also like that you did not go too in depth as to what the articles were about, leaving the reader to find out for themselves.

    -Casper :)

    ReplyDelete

S2 Unity Tutorial 6

Animation  The tutorial for week six is all on animation. Animation being a big part of a lot of games is a very useful thing to know how...